- Helping Clients with Their Legal Challenges for over 30 Years
- More than 10,000 People Helped
- 185 Jury Trials Handled
- The Experience of a Former Prosecutor
- Highly Recommended by Peers & Past Clients
- Free Initial Consultations
Running a Red Light Traffic Violations in Florida
Getting a ticket for running a red light is one of the most frequently issued citations in Florida. If you choose to just pay the fine, it will automatically cost you four points on your driving record and most likely raise your insurance rates. After 2009, it is also mandatory to complete a basic driver improvement course. It’s important to know what your legal rights and options are because it could be possible to reduce or even eliminate these penalties.
Steps to Take After a Red Light Camera Ticket in FL
If you received a red light camera ticket for the alleged offense of running a red light in Tampa, Florida, there are several steps you should take to ensure that you have the best opportunity of effectively fighting the ticket. Let’s take a look!
- Understand the information included on your ticket – Why did you receive the notice? How much is the fine? How long do you have to pay the fine?
- Know your options – After you gather the facts, evaluate your options. You can either pay the fine before the due date is up or fight the ticket.
- Request a hearing – If you decide that you would like to fight the ticket, your Tampa red light ticket lawyer can request a hearing with the City of Tampa Local Hearing Officer and represent you.
- Submit an affidavit – This step is only necessary if another person was driving the vehicle when the photo was taken
You will want to work with an Tampa red light ticket attorney who can help you fight the red light camera ticket if that is in your best interest. Speak to us at your earliest convenience to discuss your case.
Red Light Cameras and Officer’s Citations
If an officer issues you a ticket for running a red light, we can help you fight it. We can help you reduce or eliminate the fine, points and driver’s school. But if you are sent a citation automatically by one of the many new Red Light cameras being installed at intersections statewide, and you pay it, there are no points issued against your record. Your insurance will not be affected either, but realize if you do not pay your photo ticket, you will thereafter not be able to register your car.
But when an officer stops you and issues the ticket, it does carry the penalty of 4 points and a fine. This when we can help you the most, as it is now a matter of the officer’s word against yours. Our Tampa red light ticket attorney is very experienced in dealing with these kinds of cases. We know the issuing officer must be able to prove his case for it to stand up in traffic court. If he cannot, then the citation can be dismissed entirely.