After a DUI arrest, one question comes to mind for many people living in our area: who is the best DUI attorney in Tampa?
This is not a simple question to answer. There are many skilled lawyers in the Tampa area who handle Driving Under the Influence cases.
If you are trying to make a decision as to who to hire, there are a few questions you should start by asking yourself :
1. What is the lawyer's experience? You should look for an attorney who has handled cases like yours in the past. Many lawyers advertise that they handle DUI cases; however he or she may not have much recent experience in the field. DUI, like other areas of the law, is complex. There are administrative rules as well as statutes and case law that your attorney should be aware of. Furthermore, you want an attorney who has experience in front of the Judge and prosecutor you will be facing. Hiring someone with lots of recent experience will increase your chances of success.
2. Does the attorney practice in my area? You want an attorney who practices in your area (Tampa or Pinellas) often. This will ensure that the attorney understands the expectations of the Judge and the prosecutor and that he or she can advise you as to how to proceed properly. This can be especially helpful when it comes to crafting a plea agreement.
3. Does the attorney have a passion for fighting DUI's? You want an attorney who is on your side. While every lawyer has an ethical responsibility to fight for his client, it can be helpful to hire someone who enjoys fighting cases like yours.
4. Is the lawyer staying current with the law? You should see if your attorney has attended any continuing education classes regarding DUI. It can be very helpful for your lawyer to be up-to-date with the most recent changes in the case law and statutes.
5. Will the lawyer work with your financial situation? Many lawyers accept payment plans, which may be necessary for you at this time considering the fees and expenses associated with being charged with DUI.
THE BOTTOM LINE: When you hire an attorney, you should make sure he or she is the right fit for you. This is a major decision and you need the right lawyer in your corner. Don't rush, and comparison shop until you find the best attorney for you in Tampa.